Member Contributed Image :
Whether you came using CrystalCoastWoodworkers.com or Carolina-Woodworkers.com, the good news is you're HERE!
Associate Links/Search
Share this topic!!! Share

Author Topic: Game Table  (Read 473 times)

Offline steinwoodworks

Game Table
« on: February 24, 2020, 01:12:01 AM »
Not sure how many folks here are on other social platforms, Instagram and such, but if you are and we're friends.... You probably have seen my pictures and progress shots.  Anyway, not a ton of activity here on this site yet, so I figured I would contribute some.  One of my recent builds, I built this game table for my kids playroom, finished it about a month-ish ago.  Loosely based on the WoodWhisperer table, the idea was inspired by his, at the very least... Painted red oak base (legs built from salvaged stair treads from a building in Beaufort), pre-finished birch ply play surface, ambrosia maple top.  Finished with a rubbed/wiped on poly mix.  I built a "Game Wall" a while back, that this table accompanies for the kids to play games, legos, puzzles, art, and probably poker when they get older... Top dimensions are 41.75" x 41.75".  Chose to use cloth cushioned, black, folding chairs (so we can bring them downstairs for guests, when needed).

This ended up being a lot of design-on-the-fly. Initially I planned to just have a simple plywood top, since I assumed it will get beat up in time. However, I scored on some thinner (3/4" thick) ambrosia maple a few months ago, and knowing the boss wouldn't let this be used in downstairs furniture, plus its already thin before milling, I figured this would be a great use of some.  All that said, I had to figure out the top sort of as I wen't.  Had I planned for that initially, I would have probably incorporated the lip into the frame, rather than the extra red oak strips inside, as well as done a push-pin on the underside to assist opening the table.

Overall though, happy with the way it turned out and think we will get plenty of use out of it in time.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:44:19 AM by steinwoodworks »

Offline MLZettl

• Global Moderator
Re: Game Table
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 09:25:18 AM »
Great job, Mark. Not many kids have a game table like that!
Matt
"It's the poor workman who blames his tools."

Offline drewactual

• Administrator
  • total expert w/this thing; total novice with wood.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 10:24:47 PM »
beautiful job on that table... hopefully, i'll be that good one day!!!!

and....

@MLZettl .... it took me a while... i knew i knew but couldn't figure it out... you fixed my leg.. i was one of your last 'jobs'... broke it and compound dislocation on a mountain bike a few days short of Christmas maybe 2006 or so?  ..... by the way... i DID get in that race (and placed 3rd) six weeks to the day of the break.  I never go to tell you that. 

Offline Willie

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:44:26 PM »
I love the design.
Willie

Offline steinwoodworks

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 12:13:06 AM »
I love the design.

Thanks Willie.  Definetely not my idea, but my iteration of the idea.  I thought the same, though.   Below are a few pics of the 'game wall' I created, in the same room, as both usable games and decoration for the kids playroom... I think it is a pretty cool spot, hope my kids agree.   ;D