Member Contributed Image :
Whether you came using CrystalCoastWoodworkers.com or Carolina-Woodworkers.com, the good news is you're HERE!
Associate Links/Search
Share this topic!!! Share

Author Topic: Baby Cradle  (Read 263 times)

Offline MLZettl

• Global Moderator
Baby Cradle
« on: April 13, 2020, 02:28:23 PM »
Those of you who have been to the last couple of meetings know that I have been working on a cradle for our first grandchild. I finished the cradle about three weeks ago, and shipped it to San Francisco where it arrived unharmed last week. I have posted some photos of the finished cradle. One of the challenges of this design was making it knock-down, so that it could be shipped and stored flat. That actually worked out very well. Once assembled, it is very stable, and it rocks smoothly and noiselessly. It can be assembled with two tools, a 5/32" hex driver, and a square drive bit. I provided both so my daughter and son-in-law did not have to go looking for the tools. I provided instructions with photos, and they assembled it in 30 minutes.

Overall, I am very pleased with the end result. I think that I achieved all of the goals that I set out at the beginning. All it needs now is an occupant, who is scheduled to arrive in one month.
Matt
"It's the poor workman who blames his tools."

Offline MLZettl

• Global Moderator
Re: Baby Cradle
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
Thought that I would add a few photos of the shipping crate/storage box. After putting in nearly 3 months of work on the cradle, I was determined to ship it to San Francsisco and have it arrive unscathed. Having heard horror stories about shipping mishaps, I undoubtedly overbuilt the crate, but felt that I had to consider worst case scenarios. I built it out of 1/2" OSB with 1 x 3 reinforcing around all of the edges. I glued and screwed it together. I added hinges and clasps to the top, to facilitate its use later as the storage box for the cradle, but the top was screwed down for shipping. I also added 3 skids, 3"W x 3 1/2"H  to the bottom to allow the crate to be moved with a forklift or pallet jack. The skids were attached with long screws from the inside to facilitate later removal so that as a storage box it would not take up as much room.

For the inside of the crate I used 2" polystyrene foam board, cut to fit the parts. There was a total of 6 layers, with all of the parts and the mattress well secured and protected.

The crate ended up being 36" x 48" x 14", and weighed 185 lbs. total. The crate alone weighed 100 lbs.  I checked with several shippers, and received price quotes as high as $1200.00! I finally settled on UPS Freight, but had some reservations based upon a recent bad experience that Speight Rhue had. But I have to say that the owner/manager of the UPS Store in Morehead was extremely helpful, and even gave me a 10% discount when he found out that it was a cradle for our first grandchild. Shipping ended up at around $400.00. I brought it to the UPS Store on a Monday, and it arrived in SF the following weekend after stops in Gaffney, SC and Salt Lake City. It was delivered on Monday by a box truck with lift gate and pallet jack, and the driver placed it exactly where my son-in-law directed. No damage at all, and I was finally relieved.
Matt

Offline steinwoodworks

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:22:43 PM »
Matt - I saw this a few days ago on your facebook page, as typical of your work, absolutely incredible.  Very inspiring!

Offline MLZettl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 05:34:56 PM »
Matt - I saw this a few days ago on your facebook page, as typical of your work, absolutely incredible.  Very inspiring!

Thanks for the kind words. It was certainly one of the most complicated things that I have every designed and built.
Matt

Offline drewactual

• Administrator
  • total expert w/this thing; total novice with wood.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 07:53:47 PM »
Amazing work, Sir.  I hope to one day be able to approximate it.

Offline MLZettl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 10:52:20 PM »
Amazing work, Sir.  I hope to one day be able to approximate it.

Thanks, Drew. It was certainly a labor of love, so all of the work involved is worth it.
Matt